Sunday, August 8, 2010

Miya Matsuri and Free Concert at Oya



Miya Matsuri is the biggest annual festival in Utsunomiya. There is a big parade where teams carry these Mikoshi (mini shrines) on their shoulders. The Mikoshi look pretty heavy and people also stand on them. At the end of the parade the Mikoshi are carried up to the shrine... seems like a lot of hard work. This is a two day festival for Obon holiday. Obon is a celebration bringing family spirits back home. I missed the floating lanterns in the river so I was a little bummed, good thing I will be here for 2 years. Misato and I found a free concert at the Oya stone mine she took me to the first time we hung out. I was very nice with a bunch of beautiful candles in Oya stone sculptures, a few were made by a local kindergarten class.

Miya Matsuri Oya concert

No comments:

Post a Comment