Saturday, May 28, 2011

Motorcycle License

Working on getting a motorcycle license is a multiple phase project for me. Step 1. Get translation of american drivers license. This was pretty easy and only cost $30 or so and took about 30 minutes. Just went to the japan automobile association and they did it while I waited. Step 2. Get application for driving test. This was a little more complicated and since I didnt really plan ahead was much more time consuming than I had thought. The reception for foreigners is only open from 1pm to 2pm. I made my decision at 12pm that I would go yesterday. I thought I could get there by 1pm, but I ended up getting there at about 1:30, this after I told my coworkers Id be back at 2. I signed up on the sheet and was #5 in line. Didnt get called until about 4pm and every detail of my passport was scrutinized. The stamps that were faded from about 4 years ago and the 3 or 4 times we crossed between Argentina and Brazil were a bit skeptical. I also messed up a few key Japanese words like when they asked me what the license was for, I said a motorcycle, because that is what I want in Japan, but they thought I meant my american license was only good for a motorcycle when it is actually good for both a bike and car. Anyway I finally got through all that around 5pm, which was really a poor move on my part at work since I had volunteered to stay late for a special computer upgrade. I let them down, but they seemed to understand the underestimation problem and how long things sometimes take here... I hope. Now its time to take the riding test. I have heard horror stories of people taking the car test up to 18 times. I guess the driving/riding itself isnt too hard, but you have to memorize the course, and more importantly SHOW that you are following all the rules, ie turn your head exactly 90 degrees for 30 seconds to look over your shoulder before changing lanes, and turning on your signal at the right time etc.... My Japanese coworker Seki san just got his license so I asked him to show me the ropes a bit. July, August and September we might be working Saturday and Sunday and off on Thursday and Friday to spread out the demand for energy due to the plant at fukushima, so Ill have plenty of opportunities to go try for the license since the license center is only open M-F. Hopefully I havent forgotten how to ride, I was a bit shaky in the first place as everyone knows of my few mishaps with the dirtbike and the KLR. If I fail the first time I may go to a driving school where I can run the course a few times and learn what manners I am supposed to do. Hopefully Ill get the license sooner rather than later so I can go do some exploring later on this fall. I really want this bike 2010 CB1100, its a bit expensive so hopefully I can find a similar used one. Japanese generally dont like used stuff so its somewhat cheap, but for some reason retro motorcycles are popular now.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Greg, I live in Utsunomiya and am in the process of transferring my license over. You have a follow up to this post? I'm most concerned about the course layout, and what actions need to be completed by motorcycle drivers to get a 'passing' grade. Hit me up, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. check out my post http://gregthegingerzilla.blogspot.jp/2011/08/5th-times-charm.html that has a video describing what youll need to do. Good luck. In general most foreigners have to take the test a few times. Most car drivers didnt pass until the 3rd or 4th time, mostly as a matter of principle.

    ReplyDelete