Sunday, February 21, 2010

Another Nomihodie


I was crazy busy on Saturday and ran all kinds of errands, even got my hair cut.. which was an experience. Kinda hard to tell them what I want, when I cant speak any Japanese. Also went to the furniture store again and got a coffee table and an entertainment center for my TV. My coworker Josh took me to the homestore where I got a bookshelf and a huge bag of rice as well.
Saturday night was sweet though, went to a nomihodie (3 hrs drink all you want for a set price) that Misato had orgainzed. I met some other foreigners who work at a winery to the south of here. They told me about a harvest festival in November that I will have to try. Sounds like you just go down and get drunk at the vineyard. The whole operation is run by people with special needs. Sunday Misato took me to this area called 100 caves at Nagaoka, which is really just 52 caves that are made from volcanic rock. They are each a tumuli and have a bodhisattva Kannon, which is a god of sorts for compassion. Then she made me okonomiyaki. It is a Japanese cross between pizza and a pancake and it has seafood and veggies in it. Pretty yummy. My Japanese is getting a little better, and the more I struggle through it the more fun it is. I have the two alphabets down pretty well Hiragana and Katakana, but Kanji is still really hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment